Obstacle & Crash Avoidance
- Students demonstrate ability to avoid obstacles.
- Students demonstrate ability throughout lessons and rides to be as safe and predictable as possible.
- Students understand that we have the same rights and responsibilities as motorized vehicles.
These three drills are designed to teach students the skills to avoid accidents through evasive maneuvers, including quick steering and rapid braking.
These maneuvers should only be put into use on a ride when absolutely necessary. Evasive or unpredictable riding without cause in the group is unacceptable.
- Quick Turn Drill — students practice a quick, 90 degree turn without using brakes.
- Rock Dodge Drill — students practice a small turn that allows both wheels to avoid a small obstacle without deviating from their line of travel.
- Avoidance Stop Drill — students practice a quick, controlled stop using both brakes, shifting their weight backwards to avoid a rear wheel skid or "endo".
Has there been a time during our Bike Club rides that something unexpected happened such as a crash or a dog chasing the group? Could the group handle it better now with new skills?
Rules of the Road: remind students that the same rules and laws apply to bicycles as to cars. Bicycles on the roadway are, by law, vehicles with the same rights and responsibilities as motorized vehicles.
Remind students to be seen (by wearing brightly colored clothes), be predictable (by riding in a straight line and signaling) and be alert (by expecting the unexpected) when riding their bikes.
Allow a few student questions following volunteer sharing.
- Divide into 3 groups led by at least 1 volunteer.
- Create the 3 course as defined on the next page.
- Spend 10 minutes at each station doing drill as many times as possible.
- Half Tennis Balls
Volunteer Connector Summary
Team Builder — Read aloud and discuss with students 7 common rules of Riding In Traffic:
- Be seen
- Follow the rules of the road
- Expect the unexpected
- Beware the left cross...
- ...and the right hook
- Pick a smart route